Sex or Vampires

Don’t worry this isn’t going to be about who’s hotter, Edward or that other guy.  I just thought that title would draw you in.  Mwaaaahahaha.  Actually this post is about that, or more so not about that.  See, the problem is that my 13 year old is an avid reader.  She reads ALL the time.  She has gone way past reading “grade” level books.  So, now she is reading the works of Jane Austin, she loves classics. She’s read Little Women, Uncle Tom’s Cabin, The Hobbit, and King Arthur, just to name a few. We jokingly tell her that her books take up too much room and that we’d really like her to pick up another hobby such as watching TV or talking to boys.  (It’s a joke people! Of course she talks to boys, while I read every line of chat over her shoulder… kidding again!)
She really wants to read something written more recently, something more modern but recent literature, if you can call it that, has two main topics.  In her words, she wants to read something that isn’t about sex or vampires.   A friend of mine is a high school literature teacher at a local private Christian high school and gave me some recommendations.  I’d love to start compiling a list though.  I’m looking for quality literature the will help her think and understand the world. What would you add to this list?

To begin, my friend suggested:
The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis
A Raisin in the Sun by Lorraine H.
Lord of the Flies

11 Comments

• Kathryn Bond

August 1, 2012 at 9:19 pm Reply

Oh, my. Your friend is very smart and happens to have my old, beloved job. 🙂 I’d also like to add Cold Sassy Tree (Olive Ann Burns), Unbroken (Laura Hillenbrand), Fahrenheit 451 (Ray Bradbury), Ender’s Game series (Orson Scott Card), Peace Like a River (Leif Enger), Hiroshima (John Hersey), To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee), Til We Have Faces (CS Lewis). Has she read Huck Finn (Mark Twain)? These reading levels are all over the place (Til We Have Faces is the hardest, Ender’s Game is probably the easiest), but they span a variety of interesting topics. I love that Madelyn is such a reader!

• Carrie Catlin

August 1, 2012 at 9:30 pm Reply

OH WOW!!! What wonderful suggestions. I wish she had an E-reader. We are either going to have to get that or another book shelf for her room!!! Thank you so much! I completely forget how intertwined my friends are.

• MerciBlahBlah

August 1, 2012 at 10:56 pm Reply

A Tree Grows In Brooklyn

• Jason

August 2, 2012 at 1:40 am Reply

Purple Cow, Seth Godin
    Outliers, Malcom Gladwell

• T-Bone

August 2, 2012 at 11:42 am Reply

To Kill a Mockingbird is essential (both the book and the film). The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton is excellent as well. If she has already read The Hobbit then Lord of the Rings should keep her busy for a while too. I assume either she has already read the Harry Potter books (or you have decided that she shouldn’t). If the themes aren’t objectionable to you, I think as literature they are on par with the Chronicles of Narnia…some of my favorite books ever. Your friend is correct The Great Divorce is an amazing book, very highly recommended.

• Kathryn Bond

August 2, 2012 at 4:34 pm Reply

Carrie, I have all of the books I recommended. I’d be happy to let her borrow them!

• Carrie Catlin

August 2, 2012 at 9:44 pm Reply

Thank you all so much. She is super excited about her new reading list. She went to Barnes and Nobel last night and bought Fahrenheit 451. I’ll let her know about borrowing though Kathryn. Travis, she’s is currently reading the Lord of the Rings when she isn’t reading Jane Austin. She said they are a little difficult to focus on. She’s read Harry Potter, and come on Trav, you know be better than that! I’m interested in reading The Great Divorce now too. Jason and Shannon thank you too! We’ll have to do a book review on here after she reads them…hmmm sounds like a good assignment for her.

• Anonymous

August 2, 2012 at 11:24 pm Reply

Has she read any of the Lois Lowry books? I remember liking The Giver and Gathering Blue. The oxford book of modern fairy tales?
    -Hannah

• Carrie Catlin

August 3, 2012 at 12:27 am Reply

Hannah, she just got The Giver in the mail as part of her literature curriculum. Her school hasn’t started yet and at dinner she asked me if she could just go ahead and read all of her books. That girl…what am I going to do? 🙂

• Anonymous

August 5, 2012 at 4:13 am Reply

Lord of the Flies…ugh. I hated that book. Too violent. Check out Ted Dekker Lost Book series and Circle series. Kim Hays

• Wanda

August 7, 2012 at 3:23 am Reply

Anne of Green Gables series. Bodie & Brock Thoene’s A.D. Chronicles series. For that one I’d recommend starting with the one about the birth of Jesus (maybe 6th or 7th in the series). Really fun series based on the time Jesus was on earth & it has really cool facts about Jewish culture.