Resolutions vs. Goals

I have a bone to pick with the New Year.

Why do we set resolutions? I think we are just setting our selves up for failure. Can we please start a new trend? Is that even possible in 2016? Trends and fads seem to move faster than an earring headed toward the sink drain.

Can we set goals instead of making resolutions?

I love goals. I am a goal setter.

Resolutions are so empty. (I did, set ONE, just ONE this year…but even it is more of a goal.)

When we make resolutions we make this big list of things we want to improve in our lives and they are usually one of three things.

Fitness, Financial or Spiritual.

So our fitness resolutions sound something like this.

“I’m going to start going to the gym. I’m going to lose weight.”

Financial

“I’m going to live on a budget.”

Spiritual

“I’m going to go to church more,” or “I’m going to read my Bible more.”

Can we please stop doing this. Let’s learn to set goals.  Goals have a reachable end. A point at which we can step back and say “I did it!”

Goals have numbers. Therefore, goals are quantitative, not qualitative. They have meaning and an end. You can break a goal down into a doable daily chunk. You can see progress. You can count progress. I am going to share some of my goals here over the next few days. I’m a little nervous about some of them, but that is good. Goals should make you nervous.

I took a break from goals in 2014. 2013 was so full of goals I was exhausted. Then it took me until July of 2015 to set another big goal. And I remember why I love goal setting so much.

As for that one resolution.I decided to stop eating a bed time snack. That is all it is, just one little thing. Today is the 5th and I’ve done pretty good so far.

I’d love to hear your goals. Share them in the comments! Check back for my list later this week.

7 Comments

• Neeter

January 5, 2016 at 10:33 am Reply

“Goals” only a word! Doing it is real! Can’t wait to see what I “do” this year! Love your blogs! ❤️

• Carrie Catlin

January 5, 2016 at 1:16 pm Reply

Absolutely! That is why I like to break it down, so that I can really do something. Posting about this is SCARY!!!

• Hannah

January 5, 2016 at 10:56 am Reply

I never thought about the difference between the two! Faint of heart here, I suppose I set more of a resolution. I specifically set it in mind of not wanting to feel like I have failed at the end of the day/week/month. Mine is to pray more, on my knees, alone and also with Jason. I hope by the end of the year, I find I indeed have.

Love to read your blog Carrie!

• Carrie Catlin

January 5, 2016 at 1:18 pm Reply

Thanks Hannah! Praying is such a wonderful goal…That’s totally measurable. I was once told that when I wanted to do something like that I should set an appointment with myself and keep it the same as I would if it were an appointment with someone else. I know you will keep that resolution! LOVE!!!

• Regina

January 5, 2016 at 12:47 pm Reply

I’m pretty nervous about my goal…so I guess that’s good??? I feel like I’m always trying to move forward with something or another in my life. I’m not always successful, but I do agree goals are a good thing! Maybe people just think new year fresh start, but everyday is a new day with new possibilities.

• Carrie Catlin

January 5, 2016 at 1:19 pm Reply

Your goal IS pretty scary and yes I think scary is good. If your goal is what I think it is…I’m scared too!!!!

• […] few people shared their goals for the new year on yesterday’s post and I was quite inspired by my cousin, Hannah. I too need to strengthen my prayer life. Our Bible […]